- Lamborghini owners lodged report on evening of crash
- Football: Manchester United suffer another home defeat
- Half-naked body of girl found by roadside
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- FLOOD: Victims in Dungun use tents at relief centres
- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- A party determined to transform
- Full text of Najib's speech at 2013 Umno General Assembly
- Nigerian farmers abandon food crops for cannabis: agency
- 'Make Sunni Islam official religion'
- 2013 SEA GAMES: Malaysia wins first gold from Wushu
- FLOOD: Worsening situation in Pahang, Terengganu
- WORLD CUP DRAW 2014: FIFA switches late England-Italy WCup kickoff time
- EPL: Fixture pile-up worries Wenger
- FLOOD: East coast may be hit by second flood wave More
KUALA LUMPUR: This year's Merdeka Day falls on a very special and auspicious time -- during the occurence of a rare blue moon, says R.S. Maniam, a noted local astrologer.
"It was a good start to this year's Merdeka celebrations as the night sky was fully illuminated," he told Bernama today.
"According to vedic astrology, it also signifies an auspicious time for the people to unite as the moon's current angulation or position is a time for blemishes to disappear," he said, alluding to Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak's 2012 Merdeka message yesterday that unity in diversity remained the pillar of Malaysia's strength.
A blue moon refers to a second full moon in a month and Aug 31 this year happens to be the second full moon in a month after the first one on Aug 2 this
A blue moon occurs once every 2.7 years and the next blue moon will occur only in 2015, hence the popular saying of "once in a blue moon".
Maniam, who is based in Kota Baru, Kelantan, said the last time a blue moon appeared on Malaysia's independence day was in 1966 -- 46 years ago.
Following that, he said a number of key milestones were achieved the next year (1967) and they included the introduction of the ringgit to replace the
British Malaya dollar, Malaysia winning the Thomas Cup for the third time and becoming a member of the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the establishment of Institut Tekonologi MARA (the MARA Institute of Technology). -- BERNAMA
SHY SHY HA