- Turtles have existed for more than 200 million years. - Roughly, there are around 300 species of turtles in the world.
- The turtle’s shell is built into its skeleton. Therefore, turtles cannot come out of their shells.
- Turtles cannot stick out their tongues.
- Turtles will drown if kept underwater for too long.
- The gender of a turtle can be identified through the noise it makes. If it grunts, it is male. If it hisses, it is female.
- There are some female turtles that produce eggs after four years of mating.
- An egg tooth (small, sharp bony projection) can be found on a hatching turtle’s beak. It helps the turtle to break open the eggshell.
- It takes two to three hours for a turtle to emerge onto the beach, build a nest, lay its eggs and camouflage the nest.
By Darald Divesh
Gunasekaran, 17, Selangor