So, you wanted to write fan fiction but don’t exactly know how to start. I shall share a few writing tips.
Plot your story. Sort out your characters. You don‘t want to end up having writer’s block.
* Choose the type of fan fiction you want to create. There is a variety to choose from, such as the now trending One Direction fan fiction or The Hunger Games fan fiction.
* Choose a nice title for your story. Create something catchy, not something that tells the whole story. Example: The Fallback Girl. (This example is a popular book on Wattpad, mind you.)
* Detail your characters without illustrating them as ridiculously perfect and one-dimensional creatures who are bound to annoy your readers. Focus on character development and do your research — you don’t want to say Niall Horan has brown eyes when he has blue eyes.
* Throw in real-life habits for the character and make them behave characteristically.
* Do not mix Malaysian slang with proper English. This applies to all stories since you are not encouraged to create sentences such as ‘He got pretty eyes, what!’ No matter how awesome our Malaysian slang is, please be considerate towards readers of other nations. Try phrasing the sentence as follows: “His eyes sparkled when he smiles.“ There!
* Have fun. Yes, you heard me right. Forget about all the stress. Hey, fan fiction is meant to be fun to read and fun to write!
* Be realistic. Wherever you go, you’ll surely overhear a catchy line or two. Remember it or write it down and use it in your fan fiction dialogue.
* This may sound uncalled for but… look away once in a while; otherwise, your eyes will start to play tricks on you.
* Write for yourself, not for others. Do not stop writing even if you are not well supported. If writing is your calling eventually, someone will discover your work.
By Rachel Desiree Ooi