- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Two cops arrested for rape of Indonesian woman
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- Flower prices set to rise from Jan 1
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
ALEXANDRIA: An apartment tower under construction collapsed on adjacent buildings in the Mediterranean city of Alexandria, killing 11 people, Egypt’s Health Ministry said Sunday.
The ministry said five other people were injured and that search teams were searching for survivors buried under rubble.
The 11-story building in the poor Alexandria neighborhood of al-Gomrouk collapsed late Saturday onto three adjacent buildings, reducing much of the structures to rubble. All the dead and injured lived in the three smaller buildings.
Building collapses are not uncommon in Egypt, where shoddy construction is widespread in shantytowns, poor city neighborhoods and rural areas. With real estate at a premium in big cities like Alexandria and Cairo, developers seeking bigger profits frequently violate planning permits and exceed the number of stories allowed. - AP