- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: American Navy ship involved in SAR docks at Westport
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub aborts again
- Russia rules artist who nailed scrotum to Red Square 'committed no crime'
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- MH370 Tragedy: If filed, lawsuits by families might not get heard in US
- MH370 Tragedy: More countries offering help in SAR, says Hishammuddin
- Suspected drug pusher held in raid, 51.5g heroin seized
- India election: Bollywood urges voters to shun Modi's party
- Jaip enforment personnel assured of better security More
12-year old girl takes bleach due to poser on parentage
IPOH: A 12-year-old girl who was constantly teased for having lighter skin tone than her Indian parents, is now fighting for her life at the Raja Permaisuri Bainun Hospital here after she was believed to have consumed bleach.
The girl is however reported to be in a stable condition.
She recently made it into the news after her identity was questioned by the National Registration Department when she applied for her MyKad.
Her mother, 60, claimed that the NRD refused to issue her the MyKad because the girl had different skin colour from her parents.
The mother also claimed that the NRD had asked for a DNA test to be conducted to prove that the girl was her biological daughter.
Buntong assemblyman, A Sivasubramaniam, who is currently at the hospital with the family, said the girl had consumed the bleach after she was teased by her friends on her family background and her failure to obtain the IC.
"I was told the girl had gone to the shop to get something. While there, some people asked her on the matter.
"When she went home, she confronted her mother on the matter but did not get answers.
"It was then she decided to lock herself in the room and consume the bleach," he said.
Sivasubramaniam said the doctors said the girl was responding to treatment.
However, the extent of damage caused by the bleach to her internal organs could only be known in a few days time.