- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Two cops arrested for rape of Indonesian woman
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Flower prices set to rise from Jan 1
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- Newlywed pleads guilty to second-degree murder
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
TUXTLA GUTIERREZ (México): A candidate for a state assembly seat was shot to death on Monday in the Pacific coast state of Guerrero, and a supporter of President Felipe Calderon’s National Action Party died of a gunshot wound in the southern state of Chiapas, marring the campaign for Mexico’s July 1 national elections with bloodshed.
The presidential and state races had been peaceful until now.
Guerrero state officials said in a statement that state assembly candidate Margarito Genchi was found shot to death inside his home in the village of Llano Grande, east of the resort city of Acapulco. Officials gave no other details.
In Chiapas state, prosecutors said they were searching for a mayoral candidate who a witness reported shot a National Action supporter, Edgardo Hernandez, in a town outside the state capital, Tuxtla Gutierrez.
Officials didn’t identify the suspect, but a cousin of the victim said the shooter was Ulises Grajalas, who is running for mayor of the town of Villaflores for the former longtime ruling Institutional Revolutionary Party. A state prosecutor, who agreed to discuss the case only on condition of remaining anonymous, confirmed that authorities were searching for Grajalas.
The cousin, Manuel Corzo, told The Associated Press that Hernandez and two relatives were on a road after putting up posters for Calderon’s conservative party when the mayoral candidate started following their vehicle.
Corzo said he saw Grajalas pull out a gun and open fire. Hernandez was shot in the head and died at the scene. -- AP