- S. Korea Ferry incident: Body of boy who raised alarm believed found
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Parents of victims attack top official
- MH370 Tragedy: Opposition leader warned from speculating on missing plane
- Obama lookalike takes it in stride
- Dog attack victim doesn't want family to know ordeal
- S'gor police bust biggest money laundering syndicate
- Firefly flight forced to turn back shortly after take off
- MH370 Tragedy: MAS has settled about 96 per cent claims from Chinese families
- MH370 Tragedy: RMN's Bunga Mas 6 reaches search area
- MH370 Tragedy: Material washed ashore Augusta not from missing plane - ATSB
- MISSING MH370: Co-pilot's brothers seen carry clothes and toiletries
- Owner of dogs which attacked three and tore off scalp of maid remanded
- Obama's visit a recognition for Malaysia, says Jamaluddin Jarjis
- Indonesia international school faces new sex abuse claims
- KD Tunku Abdul Rahman submarine proves RMN's capabilities More
NAIROBI (Kenya): Kenya police on Monday searched for 31 mentally ill patients who escaped from the country’s only public psychiatric facility.
Samuel Anampiu, the police chief in charge of the area where Mathari Mental Hospital sits, said that about 70 male patients overpowered the guards at the hospital and that 40 managed to escape Sunday morning.
Nine of them have since been brought back by parents and guardians, according to hospital medical superintendent Dr. Kisivuli Azenga.
Azenga said one of the patients incited the others after the attendants delayed giving the medicine to the patients.
Mental health care in Kenya suffers from a lack of funding. Poverty, a lack of access and the stigma associated with mental disorders prevent many patients from getting good assistance.
Azenga said the patients who escaped are not a “danger to the society” but added that it is important for them to be returned to the facility so that they can finish their treatment.
He said the escape was unusual because such a large number of patients were involved. Azenga said there have been previous attempts where two to three patients escaped. -- AP