- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Thousands throng temples nationwide
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United More
6 die, at least 100 sickened by pickles in Japan
TOKYO: Health officials say six people have died and at least 100 others have been sickened by pickles contaminated with E. coli bacteria in northern Japan.
The officials in Hokkaido said Saturday that the pickled Chinese cabbage was made by two local producers and sold across the prefecture. The first reports of illness occurred about 10 days ago.
Most victims were elderly people in nursing homes, but a 4-year-old girl in Sapporo city died last week a few days after eating the pickles.
Pickled Chinese cabbage is a popular Japanese side dish, and the deaths have shocked the country. Most food poisoning cases in the past have involved meat or seafood.
Officials are still investigating, but suspect insufficient sterilization may have been the cause. -- ap