- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- KL vehicle number plates to start with W, ends with A
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- Moyes is the real deal
- Immigrations Dept keeping watchful eye over foreigners
- Apek back in the dock
- US soldier accused of secretly taping naked women
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station More
SANTIAGO, DE CHILE: A 5.8 magnitude earthquake on the Richter scale jolted the Antofagasta region, in the Norte Grande de Chile, Sunday.
The quake was registered at 06:25 local time at 170 kilometres depth.
According to the University of Chile's National Seismology Service, the epicentre of the quake was located in the Argentinean territory,at 118 kilometres east of Chilean San Pedro de Atacama locality, about 1200 kilometres of this capital.
The National Emergency Office has reported neither victims nor damage to the basic or infrastructure facilities as a result of the quake.
The director of Chile's Seismology Service, Sergio Barrientos, predicted that the next medium or short term quake could take place in the north or central part of the country.
Although most predictions point to the northern part of the Chilean territory as the most vulnerable to another big quake, Barrientos did not rule out that the central part can experience an over 8 magnitude quake on the Richter scale. -- BERNAMA-NNN-PRENSA LATINA