- MAS served beyond its normal duties: CEO
- Mother, daughter stranded at airport
- Trio gets death for trafficking cannabis
- 4 killed in 3 cars and motorcycle crash at MRR2
- Esplanade gathering organiser hauled up
- Malaysians easy target for London tricksters
- Four die in 4-vehicle crash
- Taiwan, Japan, Denmark in Sudirman Cup quarterfinals
- Retired Anglican priest convicted of sex abuse
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Water supply in KL restored: Syabas
- Husband's friend held over housewife's death
- Pepsi to march in, as foreign troops leave Afghanistan
- Taiwan fighter jet crashes, 2nd in a week
- Philippines approves three new wind farms More
KUALA LUMPUR: A 34-year old animal lover who accidentally set himself on fire while treating a sick dog three days ago using thinner, died at Universiti Kebangsaan Malaysia Hospital (HUKM) here today.
Pan Chiee Wooi, 34, suffered 95 per cent burn to his body after he caught fire while trying to treat the dog’s skin condition at his house in Jalan Kuchai Lama here on early Saturday morning.
Pan’s housemate, only known as Siew, said the incident happened at 3am after the victim, who worked as a restaurant cook, brought home a stray dog he found on the way from work.
“I was sleeping when suddenly I heard Pan screaming. When I rushed to see what happened, I saw him on fire.
“After I managed to put off the flame, I tried to send him to a private medical centre nearby but due to the severity of his injuries, he was taken to Universiti Malaya Medical Centre and later transferred to HUKM burn unit,” he said.
Siew said he believed the victim had placed the thinner container too close to the kitchen stove, which was switched on, while applying the liquid on the dog.