- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Restaurant owner survives shooting
- MCA's '3 kingdom' battle
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- Manhunt launched for bogus interpreter at Mandela’s memorial service
- 2nd Penang bridge to be opened in Feb 2014
- New-look Perdana is govt official car
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Celebrations on hold
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain More
Animosity between neighbours leads to murder of man
SHAH ALAM: The murder of a 22-year-old security guard on Hari Raya in Taman Desa Coalfields, Sungai Buloh, here, maybe linked to long-standing animosity between neighbours in the victim's neighbourhood.
Sources close to the family said the neighbourhood has been abuzz after Mariapragasam Siva was knocked off his motorcycle and hacked to death by four men on Sunday.
Speaking on the condition of anonymity, several residents close to the family said the assailants were known in the neighbourhood. They claimed there have been frequent arguments and fights between both parties previously.
Police detained a 28-year-old man in Bestari Jaya on Tuesday who was believed to be linked to the four suspects who had attacked Mariapragasam after he visited a friend's house to celebrate the first day of Aidilfitri.
“We believe that the man can shed some light into the suspects’ whereabouts," Selangor deputy CID chief Assistant Commissioner Rosli Mohd Isa told reporters at the state police headquarters, here, yesterday.
Rosli said the police had also found the car, a grey-coloured Honda Civic, which the suspects had used to knock down Mariapragasam.
“The car was found burnt several kilometres away from the crime scene. The car was also reported stolen in Sungai Buloh on July 24,” he said, adding that the motive for the attack was believed to be revenge.
It was reported that, Mariapragasam, had left home on his motorcycle with a friend when the four suspects in a car rammed the machine head-on, causing him and his pillion rider to be thrown to the ground.
The gang, armed with sharp weapons, then attacked Mariapragasam and his friend. His friend who suffered a broken left hand managed to escape.
Residents sent Mariapragasam to the Sungai Buloh Hospital where he died upon arrival.