- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- Two cops arrested for rape of Indonesian woman
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
PESHAWAR, Pakistan: A bomb ripped through a market area in a northwest Pakistan tribal town near the Afghan border on Saturday, killing at least 11 people and wounding more than 20, officials said.
The blast took place in the main bazaar of Landi Kotal in Khyber tribal district, local administration official Arshad Khan said.
“The bomb exploded near a bus stand and initial reports said 11 people died and more than 20 were wounded,” Khan told AFP.
Irfan Ahmed, a doctor at the state run Landi Kotal Hospital, put the toll at 12 dead.
“We have received 12 bodies and more than 20 wounded. Some are in serious condition,” he said.
Khan said the blast appeared to be aimed at members of the pro-government Zakha Khel tribe, who oppose a local warlord.
Nobody claimed responsibility but Islamist militants have carried out several attacks in the area.
Pakistan is on the frontline of the US-led war on Al-Qaeda and Taliban militants, who Washington says use the semi-autonomous tribal areas as a global hub.
Since July 2007, a Taliban-led insurgency concentrated in the northwest has been fighting against the US-allied government.
In the last five years, attacks blamed on Islamist bombers have killed more than 5,000 people according to an AFP tally. -- AFP