- Karpal Singh's Death: The Tiger is finally put to rest
- Karpal Singh's Death: The final tour
- Karpal Singh's Death: Nawawi apologises to Karpal's family
- S. Korea Ferry Incident: Divers begin pulling bodies from sunken ferry
- Tour bus falls into ravine, 1 dies
- MH370 Tragedy: Drone diving to record level in plane search
- MH370 Tragedy: Bluefin-21 completes 6th mission, 7th mission commences
- Karpal Singh's Death: Grandson dreamt about playing football with him
- 'Johor won't budge on Friendship Bridge'
- Karpal Singh's Death: A picture of grief at the hospital
- Karpal Singh's Death: Lorry driver relates fatal accident
- Karpal Singh's Death: Yang di-Pertua Negeri among thousands to bid farewell
- MH370 Tragedy: Authorities roping in private companies assets to assist SAR
- MH370 Tragedy: Search in 44th day, sea bed scans could end in days
- MH370 Tragedy: NOK committee to set date for 'no survivors' announcement More
Attorney-General explains why Alvin, Vivian were not allowed bail
PUTRAJAYA: Controversial couple Alvin and Vivian had not been allowed bail pending their trial because of their penchant for uploading contents that could potentially stir public ire, said Attorney General Tan Sri Abdul Gani Patail.
He was referring to Alvin Tan Jye Yee, 25, and Vivian Lee May Ling, 24, who had allegedly mocked Muslims and Ramadan via Facebook.
The duo were at the Kuala Lumpur Sessions Court today to answer three charges, of posting indecent photographs in their blog, inciting racial antagonism, and sedition.
In a statement today, Gani said the Attorney General's Chambers (AGC) decided to prosecute them based on the legal provisions and after considering the implications of their alleged actions.
“The AGC also decided on charging them following the abduction and assault of an individual by an unidentified group, believed to be a backlash to their (Alvin and Vivian's) alleged actions," he said.
Meanwhile, Gani called on all parties to refrain from making any statement or speculation relating to the case to avoid a trial by media. --BERNAMA