- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- “I thought I knew him...”
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- Water woes for KL, Selangor folk
- Investments up 44% More
Aug 10 set for decision on committal proceedings filed by Rais
KUALA LUMPUR: The High Court will decide on Aug 10 on committal proceedings filed by Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim against a blogger for breaching a court order prohibiting him from continuing to publish defamatory articles on Rais in his blogsite.
Today the court is scheduled to hear the committal proceedings, however, both lawyers Datuk Seri Muhammad Shafee Abdullah representing Rais and Ahmad Nizam Hamid, acting for the blogger, Amizudin Ahmat, had agreed to file written submissions.
Judge Datin Zabariah Mohd Yusof fixed July 27 for parties to submit written submissions and Aug 10 for decision.
On Nov 21 last year, Rais, 70, was granted leave to commence committal proceedings against Amizudin in relation to a suit filed by Rais.
On July 19 last year, Rais won his suit and the blogger was ordered by the High Court to pay RM300,000 in damages and RM100,000 in costs to the minister.
Rais filed the suit on Jan 31, 2011, against Amizudin, 42, who is a Parti Keadilan Rakyat (PKR) Youth Committee member, for defamation over an article posted on the latter's blogsite, sharpshooterblogger.blogspot.com, on or about Dec 28, 2010. -- BERNAMA