- Saiful Bukhari marries TV3 personality Nik Suryani Megat Deraman
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Vintage Apple computer auctioned off for $668,000
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- FA Cup premier league results
- BN did not steal victory in GE13 - Najib
- Suspected rebels injure India ruling party leaders
- Google eyes Waze as Facebook targets hot Web maps property
- Malaysia targets 28 million foreign tourists next year - Nazri
- Obama sees terror threat reduced to pre-9/11 level
- King launches 'Colours of 1Malaysia' at Dataran Merdeka
- Thousands run final mile of Boston Marathon
- University lecturers to boost English in schools More
CANBERRA, Australia: Australia has indefinitely blocked North Korea’s plans to reopen its embassy in the Australian capital because of Pyongyang’s nuclear weapons testing.
Australian Foreign Minister Bob Carr’s spokesman Patrick Low said Thursday that the government told Pyongyang that the proposal was suspended while the United Nations Security Council considered its response to North Korea’s third nuclear test on Feb. 12.
North Korea first opened an embassy in Canberra in 2002 but closed it for financial reasons six years later.
Pyongyang approached the government in December with plans to send an ambassador. A team of diplomats was to fly to Canberra last month to search for an embassy site. Australia cancelled the trip following the nuclear test. -- AP