- Over 100,000 participate in anti-govt rally, Thai election on Feb 2
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Singapore Riot : Malaysia always in state of prepareness
- Netanyahu missing Mandela memorial for cost reasons: media
- Bangladesh Islamist to be hanged after midnight
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- China sex workers face 'harsh' detention: rights group
- Gunmen kill eight Kenyans near Somali border: police
- First catenary traffic light launched
- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- Obama shakes hands with Cuba's Castro
- Undentified lorry driver flees after hit-and-run crash More
BANGKOK: An Australian woman has been stabbed to death in an attempted bag snatch on the Thai resort island of Phuket, police said Thursday.
Michelle Elizabeth Smith, 59, suffered a knife wound to her chest after two men on a motorcycle tried to rob her late Wednesday near her hotel in Phuket town, the authorities said.
She was part of a group of tour operators visiting the island. One of her travel companions was hospitalised after suffering a cut to her arm.
“Police are compiling evidence, such as closed-circuit television footage, in which we can see the attackers’ faces clearly, to seek court arrest warrants,” a Phuket police officer who declined to be named said by telephone.
The death is another blow to Thailand’s tourist-friendly image, coming less than a week after two Canadian sisters were found dead in their hotel room on nearby Phi Phi island, showing signs of an extreme toxic reaction.