- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- HOCKEY: Juniors come good
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- 3 Japanese firms keen to participate in S'pore-KL rail link project: PM
- Chinese flyby of asteroid shows space rock is "rubble"
- Norway offers to fill empty Swedish prison cells
- Malaysia lose to Thailand, Myanmar in sepak takraw
- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- Interpreter at Mandela event: I was hallucinating
- Chong Wei cruises to victory More
Big crowd at Hari Raya open house in Tanah Merah
Tanah Merah: About 6,000 needy and underprivileged including orphans, single mothers and elderly people were presented with zakat (tithes) and donation during the Hari Raya Aidilfitri opem house hosted by Umno Tanah Merah yesterday.
They received the contributions from the division head Datuk Ikmal Hisham Abdul Aziz.
The event, held at Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Merah 1, was attended by more than 15,000 people from all walks of life.
Ikmal said those present at the open house were not only residents from Tanah Merah but other surrounding areas.
“The huge turn out was just beyond our expectation. We are very overwhelmed with the response from the people,” said Ikmal when met at the open house.
Ikmal said the programme held annually was aimed to help the needy.
“The division has allocated about RM600,000 this year for the programme so that they can use the money for the family's expenses especially during this Hari Raya.”
The guests present were treated to various delicacies including lemang, ketupat, satay, nasi dagang, nasi briyani and others.