- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Judge orders Philadelphia faith-healing couple held in son’s death
- Thousands throng temples nationwide
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid More
Big crowd at Hari Raya open house in Tanah Merah
Tanah Merah: About 6,000 needy and underprivileged including orphans, single mothers and elderly people were presented with zakat (tithes) and donation during the Hari Raya Aidilfitri opem house hosted by Umno Tanah Merah yesterday.
They received the contributions from the division head Datuk Ikmal Hisham Abdul Aziz.
The event, held at Sekolah Kebangsaan Tanah Merah 1, was attended by more than 15,000 people from all walks of life.
Ikmal said those present at the open house were not only residents from Tanah Merah but other surrounding areas.
“The huge turn out was just beyond our expectation. We are very overwhelmed with the response from the people,” said Ikmal when met at the open house.
Ikmal said the programme held annually was aimed to help the needy.
“The division has allocated about RM600,000 this year for the programme so that they can use the money for the family's expenses especially during this Hari Raya.”
The guests present were treated to various delicacies including lemang, ketupat, satay, nasi dagang, nasi briyani and others.