- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- UK treating plane incident as criminal, not terror-related
- Potential water crisis in Selangor, KL, Putrajaya from July 2014
- Ex-Guatemala president extradited to US
- Highway bridge collapses in US; people in water More
BAKU (Azerbaijan): The number of child brides under ten years old has increased in Iran, with Tehran province registering 75 marriages last year.
Farshid Yezdani of the Union for Protection of Children's Rights said some 713 marriages for children under 10 were registered in the country in 2010, twice than that recorded over the last three years, TREND news agency cited an Iranian media report.
Figures released in 2010 showed some 342,000 marriage contracts among adolescents under 18 years old were registered that year, of which 42,000 involved girls between the age of 10 to 14.
The Iranian parliament website in referring to the Head of the Civil Registry in Tehran said that in 2011, the province registered 3,929 marriages among children between 10 to 14 years old and another 1,927 marriages for children aged 15 to 19.
The number of marriages for girls in the 10-15 age range could be more, according to Yezdani.
About 55 per cent of child marriages are registered in cities and 45 per cent in villages.
The number of divorces among children is also growing, said Yezdani.
Statistics for the 2005-2011 period revealed that 37,000 marriages for children aged 10 to 18 years old ended in divorce. -- BERNAMA