- Singapore smog breaches 'hazardous' level
- Nearly 1,000 villagers in Sibu left homeless in fire
- New MERS virus spreads easily, deadlier than SARS
- One of 3 HK tourists injured in KK train accident, dies
- Britain's William and Kate do not know sex of royal baby
- Health monitoring system mobilised nationwide due to haze
- Tests find no trace of body tissue from wreckage
- HK tourists hurt in train vs cars crash in KK
- 'CCTV images may yield clue on hawker's fate'
- France hit by weather chaos, floods claim two victims
- World powers to meet on Syrian rebel demands
- Baby abuse case: Yuliana was sane during incident, says report
- Dolce and Gabbana convicted of tax evasion
- Palace sheds some light on Kate's baby plans
- Paris tackles rudeness to tourists with new manual More
BUKIT MERTAJAM: A policeman who was pursuing a car, died after his motorcycle skidded and was run over by a lorry in Permatang Tinggi, near here last night.
Penang police chief Datuk Ayub Yaakob said 23-year-old Constable Nan Ruazlan Zulkefle from the Machang Bubok Police Station had seen a suspicious looking car while patrolling the area with a colleague, both on motorcycles, in the 8.45am incident.
Nan Ruazlan intercepted the car to stop it for inspection, but the male driver accelerated and grazed the victim's motorcycle," he told reporters after visiting the victim's body at the Bukit Mertajam Hospital (HBM) last night.
"Following that, the motorcycle crashed into the road divider and he (Nan Ruazlan) was thrown onto the road before a passing lorry ran over him," he said.
Ayub said the constable from Felda Kahang Barat, Kluang, Johor who suffered critical head injuries, died on the spot. His body was sent to the HBM for post-mortem.
He said the Proton Saga and lorry involved in the incident had fled the scene and efforts to track its drivers were ongoing.
"We believe the driver of the Proton Saga is guilty of an offence based on his unwillingness to stop for inspection. Police have also identified the car owner based on the registration plate," he added.
Ayub said police have checked the car owner's house in Lunas, Kedah last night, but he was not home and believed to have fled.
He added that anyone with information on the incident are urged to contact Investigating Officer Insp Azwan Kamaruddin at 04-5301977 to help shed light on the case. -- BERNAMA