- There is a need to rewrite Malaysian history - Tun Mahathir
- Perodua offers more affordable, quality cars
- 'CCTV images may yield clue on hawker's fate'
- Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan faces baby sex test inquiry
- Lahad Datu police still investigating teen's abduction claim
- Japan experts mull rules on chimeric embryos
- Justin Bieber in traffic accident in Los Angeles
- Agong launches RM 600 million MSU campus
- Police seeks killer who knifed 54-year-old man in Jalan Imbi
- Dating site for broody singles launches in Denmark
- Cops seize fake firearms
- New Zealand boy, 11, fathers child to woman, 36
- Clearing up the wreckage
- EAT WELL: Salty signals
- Korean Air orders 11 Boeing long-haul jets in $3.6bn deal More
KUALA LUMPUR: Customs made its biggest seizure this year when its officers confiscated RM500,000 worth of contraband cigarettes involving import duties and sales tax totalling RM3.91 million.
The city customs department director Datuk Saadon Mohd Dros said the Luffman brand cigarettes were found in a container at Port Klang on April 25.
"A manager from a forwarding company agent was detained hours later when he came to claim the 'white cigarettes' and declared them as general goods," he said at a press conference today.
It was revealed that the company registered did not exist.
The case is being investigated under Section 133(1)(a) of the Customs Act 1967 for false declaration of goods.