- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- First catenary traffic light launched
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Teenage boy drowns after getting trapped in quicksand
- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- 17 shoplots gutted in morning blaze
- Spanish 'ghost' airport goes up for sale
- Petronas reports major gas find
- 5 killed in crash
- House owners return to begin the big clean-up
- Rare riot shocks Singapore
- Neocolonialism of our place names More
Design studio owner drowns off Pulau Perhentian Kecil
BESUT: The owner of a design studio drowned at a dive site in the waters of Pulau Perhentian Kecil off here at about 2 pm yesterday, police said.
Foreign tourists diving at the location found Mohd Nurul Husni Mahmud, 37, who was once a pilot with Malaysia Airlines, floating in the water, said Besut Police deputy chief DSP Noor Zainy Mohd Noor.
He said Mohd Nurul Husni was rushed to the health clinic on the island but was confirmed to have died, and the body was sent to Besut Hospital.
Noor Zainy said Mohd Nurul Husni, who was from Alor Setar, Kedah, had checked into a chalet on the island on Feb 2 and was scheduled to leave tomorrow.
Meanwhile, boatman Mohd Asrul Che Rama, 25, who had befriended Mohd Nurul Husni said the latter had joined him for a drink at about 10.30 am yesterday and then left with two foreign tourists.
He said he had become acquainted with Mohd Nurul Husni because he was a regular visitor to Pulau Perhentian and had rented his boat to snap photographs which he processed at his studio in Alor Setar.
"Mohd Nurul Husni was a jovial person who liked to make friends and loved to take photographs of the scenery on Pulau Perhentian," he said, adding that the dive site was where he usually went for a swim and dive.
Family members claimed the body of Mohd Nurul Husni for burial in Alor Setar today. - Bernama