- MH370 Tragedy: 'Unidentified material' under investigation
- MH370 Tragedy: MAS has settled about 96 per cent claims from Chinese families
- Obama lookalike takes it in stride
- MH370 Tragedy: No hesitation from Petronas to find new assets for search
- S. Korea Ferry incident: Body of boy who raised alarm believed found
- MH370 Tragedy: New independent international investigative team established
- US actress Jodie Foster marries girlfriend
- Siberian husky crashes car into Mercedes in supermarket
- MH370 Tragedy: Malaysia, Australia vow to keep searching
- MISSING MH370: Co-pilot's brothers seen carry clothes and toiletries
- Proton eyes China production
- MH370 Tragedy: ROV to replace AUV?
- Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
- BMW launches 420i coupe
- S.Korea Ferry Incident: Death toll hits 150 as search gets tougher More
DPM: Special panel to monitor Puncak Setiawangsa landslide
KUALA LUMPUR: A special commitee under the Public Works Department (JKR) to monitor the landslide at the Puncak Setiawangsa area, here has been formed, said Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
He said the committee comprised representatives from the various agencies including the Ministry of Housing and Local Government, Kuala Lumpur City Hall (DBKL), and Institut Kerja Raya Malaysia (IKRAM).
He said the security forces and employees of the local authorities were also carrying out 24-hour monitoring in the landslide area.
"We will obtain detailed report on current developments concerning the security and soil structure here.
"We will take the incident here as a lesson. Previously there had been a landslide at the Highland Tower, near here. So we don't want a similar tragedy to strike again," he told reporters during a visit to the site of the landslide.
Muhyiddin was speaking to reporters after surveying the landslide at Puncak Setiawangsa, here today.
Last Friday's landslide at Puncak Setiawangsa led to the evacuation of 106 residents from the bungalows, terrace houses and shop houses in the area.
The deputy prime minister urged local authorities and agencies to also monitor the hillsides and highlands nationwide during this rainy season.
Commenting on the latest development at the scene of the landslide, he said one of the bungalows would be demolished by Kuala Lumpur City hall (DBKL) to prevent further earth movements which could jeopardise the safety of the residents and building at the foot of the hill.
"It will be demolished anytime. It depends on the discussions between the developer and DBKL," he said.
He added that an alternative access was being built to enable residents in the affected area to retrieve their belongings.
He also assured the safety of the residents' property and said police will be patrolling the area 24-hours.
"I'm relieved that there were no casualties during the incident," he said.
Earlier, Muhyiddin and his wife Datin Seri Norainee Abd Rahman, arrived at the temporary police operations room at Persiaran Bukit Setiawangsa about 4.30 pm.
They were briefed by a police officer from the Sentul police head quarters and also surveyed the other security forces on duty in the area, including from the Civil Defence Department, Rela and Kuala Lumpur Fire and Rescue Department. -- BERNAMA