- CYCLING: Josiah in major crash
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 5 Indian nationals killed in crash
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- First catenary traffic light launched
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Teenage boy drowns after getting trapped in quicksand
- Riot in Singapore's Little India
- 17 shoplots gutted in morning blaze
- Spanish 'ghost' airport goes up for sale
- Petronas reports major gas find
- 5 killed in crash
- House owners return to begin the big clean-up
- Rare riot shocks Singapore
- Neocolonialism of our place names More
KUALA LUMPUR -- Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's reading habit has made him a visionary, knowledgeable and extraordinary leader, to the extent of enabling the country's development and progress to stand the test of time, said Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
While calling on the people to emulate the quality possessed by Dr Mahathir, Muhyiddin said in depth reading on various fields would definitely give a positive impact to the people's mindset and action, especially in Malaysia's bid to achieve the status of a fully-developed nation.
Describing the appointment of the former prime minister as the National Reading Icon as very apt, he said Dr Mahathir's diligent reading habit had also made him a distinguished thinker and initiator of ideas for development.
"Today, we can see the former prime minister's farsightedness in building the base for the country's development, which has stood the test of time.
"For example, the Penang Bridge, which was once deemed by the opposition as a waste of money, has proved to be a huge contributor to the state's development. -- Bernama