- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- “I thought I knew him...”
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- 14 arrested for corruption offences
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- Investments up 44% More
KUALA LUMPUR -- Tun Dr Mahathir Mohamad's reading habit has made him a visionary, knowledgeable and extraordinary leader, to the extent of enabling the country's development and progress to stand the test of time, said Deputy Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin.
While calling on the people to emulate the quality possessed by Dr Mahathir, Muhyiddin said in depth reading on various fields would definitely give a positive impact to the people's mindset and action, especially in Malaysia's bid to achieve the status of a fully-developed nation.
Describing the appointment of the former prime minister as the National Reading Icon as very apt, he said Dr Mahathir's diligent reading habit had also made him a distinguished thinker and initiator of ideas for development.
"Today, we can see the former prime minister's farsightedness in building the base for the country's development, which has stood the test of time.
"For example, the Penang Bridge, which was once deemed by the opposition as a waste of money, has proved to be a huge contributor to the state's development. -- Bernama