- Taib's son spared jail as court strikes out ex-wife's contempt application
- African student shot dead near college in Mantin
- Hasni: We haven't lost our right
- Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
- Xbox One makes hot debut as console war revs up
- Couple to hang for murdering maid
- Billion-ringgit undersea cable project
- Anwar found guilty of sodomy
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Anwar sodomy trial: Defence witness was not consistent with his testimony
- Home Ministry bans publication of 'Ultraman The Ultra Power'
- PM: Malaysia hopes to develop stronger links with British industry
- 2 German tourists assaulted in George Town
- Nation's interests before my own popularity, says Najib
- TV3 seeks review of defamation ruling by Appeals Court More
KUALA LUMPUR: Dr Yang Quee Yee or better known as Pak Yang is a master of dictionaries after publishing 14 types of bilingual and trilingual dictionaries in Bahasa Melayu, Chinese and English for more than five decades, said Information, Communications and Culture Minister Datuk Seri Dr Rais Yatim.
In his latest effort, Yang produced a bilingual dictionary entitled 'Kamus Sarjana Bahasa Cina-Melayu Terkini' (Chinese-Malay Master Dictionary).
Rais said: "Rarely do we find an 82-year-old man who can still produce a dictionary such as this".
"It amazes us that the effort which does not give regular or lucrative income is being pursued by the passion of the languages he loves," he said when launching 'Kamus Sarjana Bahasa Cina-
Melayu Terkini and presenting a Special Lexicography Award to Yang at the Sultan Abdul Samad Building complex here today.
Rais said the struggle of Yang in empowering people in the three languages had made him a respectable figure in the field of translation.
According to Rais, the determination of Yang, a Chinese who lived and immersed himself in Bahasa Melayu was remarkable and should be emulated.
Earlier, Yang in his speech said the dictionary was a medium which could unite the various races in this country. -- BERNAMA