- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- 2013 SEA GAMES: 8th day results involving Malaysia
- Mandela family 'humbled' by thousands turning out in cold, rain
- Najib leaves for Tokyo
- Tears as Mandela lies in state
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- 11 commando trainees, 2 instructors to get Pingat Gagah Berani
- Three nations close to joining Chemical Weapons Convention
- Why judge those who help sincerely?
- Demolished without any warning
- RTD confiscates 24 vehicles in joint ops
- Mukhriz launches Ansara Club
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain More
EC to notify voters whose nationality affected by correction
PUTRAJAYA: The Election Commission is to write to all the 19,342 voters whose locality on the ground nationwide has been corrected, according to EC chairman Tan Sri Abdul Aziz Mohd Yusof.
"The voters have to be placed in the right constituencies as per their locality on the ground," he said in an EC booklet on "The Facts behind the
Allegations and Slander against the EC".
He said the EC had never made changes to electoral boundaries but only corrected the localities under an exercise to review localities by utilising the
Electronic-Geographical Information System (E-GIS) which detects potential geographical hindrance to drawing borders, such as rivers and mountains.
Abdul Aziz was replying to an allegation that the EC had corrected the boundaries of state and parliamentary constituencies without the approval of
Parliament so as to increase the number of voters in certain constituencies to favour the Barisan Nasional (BN) in the next general election.
He said that after the correction of the localities, the EC officially notified the respective leaders of the political parties.
"We assume that the political parties, through their leaders at the level of the polling district, would inform the affected voters in their areas," he said.
However, many voters have informed the EC that they were unaware of the correction, he added.
"As such, for the 13th general election, the EC will write to all the affected voters in all the constituencies nationwide," he said. -- BERNAMA