- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Ustaz Kazim gives final verdict on Umno invite
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- Woman killed in crash
- Fly in for Penang food trail More
JITRA: There is sufficient supply of meat, chicken and eggs to meet demand for the Aidilfitri celebration, Deputy Agriculture and Agrobased Industry Minister Datuk Wira Mohd Johari Baharom said today.
He said the Veterinary Department and the Ministry of Domestic Trade, Cooperatives and Consumerism Ministry were currently monitoring the supply of meat, chicken and egg, as well as other daily essentials, and also to ensure they were sold at reasonable prices.
The ministry had taken proactive measures with the expected increase in the demand for the food items, he told reporters after giving away the 'bubur lambuk' (a type of porridge) to the public at the traffic light intersection at Taman Tengku Maheran Bandar Darulaman here yesterday.
He advised those wanting to slaughter cows, buffaloes and goats to obtain permits from the Veterinary Department to ensure their animals were free of the hand, foot and mouth disease.
He also advised the public to get their food supply, like fish, meat, vegetables and fruits at the 475 farmers' markets nationwide as their price were five to 30 per cent lower than the market price.
The Federal Agriculture Marketing Authority (Fama), he said, would hold special festive season sale at 98 selected farmers' markets in the country. -- BERNAMA