- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- KL vehicle number plates to start with W, ends with A
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- Moyes is the real deal
- Immigrations Dept keeping watchful eye over foreigners
- Apek back in the dock
- US soldier accused of secretly taping naked women
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station More
Fire destroys factory, office and waste management firm
TAWAU: It was a bleak Chinese New Year for workers of a plastics recycle factory, an office and a waste management company (Hasil Benua Sendirian Berhad) as fire destroyed their premises in an early morning fire today at Kampung Pasir Putih.
The fire also destroyed six vehicles and four motorcycles belonging to workers at the two factories.
Tawau Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Zaugarana Kuning said the station received a distress call at 7.35am and 20 fire fighters who arrived at the scene seven minutes later managed to bring the fire under control by 8.10am.
"When the firemen arrived, the fire had completely engulfed the factory, office and store, which were wooden building,” he said.
He added that the cause of the fire and damages to property was being investigated.
Meanwhile, HBSB director Tony Chua expressed regret over his staff who had not followed the company's directive to observe a holiday for the Chinese New Year celebrations.
He said, despite a directive to not work today, some workers had gone out to collect waste material and left their vehicles at the premises. --BERNAMA