- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Ustaz Kazim gives final verdict on Umno invite
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- Woman killed in crash
- Fly in for Penang food trail More
Fire destroys factory, office and waste management firm
TAWAU: It was a bleak Chinese New Year for workers of a plastics recycle factory, an office and a waste management company (Hasil Benua Sendirian Berhad) as fire destroyed their premises in an early morning fire today at Kampung Pasir Putih.
The fire also destroyed six vehicles and four motorcycles belonging to workers at the two factories.
Tawau Fire and Rescue Department operations chief Zaugarana Kuning said the station received a distress call at 7.35am and 20 fire fighters who arrived at the scene seven minutes later managed to bring the fire under control by 8.10am.
"When the firemen arrived, the fire had completely engulfed the factory, office and store, which were wooden building,” he said.
He added that the cause of the fire and damages to property was being investigated.
Meanwhile, HBSB director Tony Chua expressed regret over his staff who had not followed the company's directive to observe a holiday for the Chinese New Year celebrations.
He said, despite a directive to not work today, some workers had gone out to collect waste material and left their vehicles at the premises. --BERNAMA