- Anwar's creepy cameo
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Death of Mandela: Passing of a great leader
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- FLOOD: Flood victims at relief centres exceed 50,000
- 'Cult followers may be out for more hits'
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- Floods fail to deter couple
- Tribute to King of Thailand
- PM's speech inspirational, motivating'
- Indian court orders fresh trial for Bollywood's Khan
- Jln Cenderawasih permanently closed since Nov 15: DBKL
- 11,000 go without power in Terengganu
- European storm turns deadly, threatens huge tidal surge More
SUNGAI PETANI: A volunteer fireman from Merbok fire station was killed, while six others were injured when the fire truck they were travelling in met with an accident on the way to put out fire in Kampung Baru Padang Lembu, Gurun, near here today.
Chow Kok Kong, 51, died at the scene after he was thrown out of the truck he was driving.
His colleagues, Ng Eng Chai, 46, Ong Chong Yaw, 22, Lee Kian Fong, 41, Kok Beng Foo, 39, Kok Kok Chon, 40 and Lim Chin Ping, 42, who were injured, were taken to the Sultan Abdul Halim Hospital.
According to Kok Chon, they almost arrived at Kampung Baru Padang Lembu to help put out the fire when the mishap occurred at 1.30pm.
"When we arrived at a corner in front of Padang Lembu health clinic, our Captain (Chow) tried to avoid an incoming motorcycle from the opposite direction, causing the truck to spin out of control before it skidded by the roadside," he told reporters when met at the hospital.
Gurun assemblyman Dr Leong Yong Kong who was helping the fire victims at Kampung Baru Padang Lembu also rushed to the scene after being informed about the accident.
"When I reached here, I saw the driver lying unconsciously. He probably suffered severe internal injuries," he said.
Sungai Petani deputy police chief Supt Ong Aik Chang when contacted, confirmed the incident. -- BERNAMA