- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Filthy, disabled children found at grim Australian incest farm
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- Two cops arrested for rape of Indonesian woman
- Anger over Mandela death 'picture'
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Queen Elizabeth went nuts over nibbles, court told
- Cancer cases up 11%, breast cancer by a fifth: WHO
- Flower prices set to rise from Jan 1
- 39 dead from plague in Madagascar: government
- Chong Wei cruises to victory
- PM: Malaysia moving into 2nd phase of LEP More
SIBU: A fire destroyed five wooden houses along the banks of Sungai Igan, Kampung Nangka here and damaged another five on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri today.
No deaths were reported and over 90 residents were injured in the incident which was reported in the morning, said a spokesman of Sibu Fire and Rescue Operations Room here, when contacted by Bernama.
He said the operations room received a call from the State Operations Room at 4.52 am.
Head of operations, Abang Kamalludin Abg Hamdan, said 22 firemen in three trucks, including one from Sungai Merah fire station, were rushed to the scene.
"When we arrive at the scene, one house was already destroyed. Strong winds hampered the rescue mission and the fire raged to destroyed another four houses.
"Five houses were saved and the fire was put out in 15 minutes," he said. -- BERNAMA