- Japan experts mull rules on chimeric embryos
- Lahad Datu police still investigating teen's abduction claim
- There is a need to rewrite Malaysian history - Tun Mahathir
- Bollywood star Shah Rukh Khan faces baby sex test inquiry
- Agong launches RM 600 million MSU campus
- Justin Bieber in traffic accident in Los Angeles
- Police seeks killer who knifed 54-year-old man in Jalan Imbi
- Dating site for broody singles launches in Denmark
- EAT WELL: Salty signals
- Korean Air orders 11 Boeing long-haul jets in $3.6bn deal
- TV chef Nigella Lawson’s husband cautioned by police for assault
- Clearing up the wreckage
- EU's billion-euro aid to Egypt 'ineffective'
- Verbal volleys spice up Korea-Iran clash
- LIGHTNING ARRESTERS: Pole design cause of collapse More
SIBU: A fire destroyed five wooden houses along the banks of Sungai Igan, Kampung Nangka here and damaged another five on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri today.
No deaths were reported and over 90 residents were injured in the incident which was reported in the morning, said a spokesman of Sibu Fire and Rescue Operations Room here, when contacted by Bernama.
He said the operations room received a call from the State Operations Room at 4.52 am.
Head of operations, Abang Kamalludin Abg Hamdan, said 22 firemen in three trucks, including one from Sungai Merah fire station, were rushed to the scene.
"When we arrive at the scene, one house was already destroyed. Strong winds hampered the rescue mission and the fire raged to destroyed another four houses.
"Five houses were saved and the fire was put out in 15 minutes," he said. -- BERNAMA