- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- Four injured in RapidKL bus crash in Jalan Pudu
- United States thanks Malaysia for saving their soldiers in Somalia
- Shaken not stirred: Did 007 have alcoholic tremor?
- Downpour causes flash floods, traffic congestions in Klang Valley
- Lynas engineer drowns in pond at plant
- Annuar Musa quits all football posts with immediate effect
- My kampung Taman Tun Dr Ismail
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Football fan shot and killed in Buenos Aires
- Teen with scoliosis needs help
- Abducted baby rescued within 24 hours
- 'Malaysia lacks specialists'
- 2 Mamak Gang members nabbed over pharmacy hold-up in Subang More
Flood situation in Terengganu worsens, 5,297 evacuated
KUALA TERENGGANU: The flood situation in Terengganu worsened further today with 5,297 people placed in 94 evacuation centres as at 4pm today, more than four times the number of people evacuated yesterday.
Besut was the hardest hit with 1,096 people seeking shelter in 16 evacuation centres in the district, followed by Hulu Terengganu where 1,052 people were evacuated.
Kuala Terengganu recorded a dramatic increase of evacuees with 808, compared to just 91 yesterday.
In Dungun, 744 people were in evacuation centres, while the neighboring Kemaman district has 611.
Setiu, which was the hardest hit during last year's floods has 717 people in 18 evacuation centres but the figure could jump higher as the rain has not stopped.
A total of 26 stretches of roads were flooded throughout the state, with water level ranging from 0.3 to 1.4 metre.
Section 5 to 8 of the Menkawang-Tersat road in Hulu Terengganu was under 1.4 metres of water while part of the Kuala Berang-Sungai Tong road was under 1.3 metres of water.
Setiu and Besut each has nine stretches of flooded roads with the Jertih-Pasir Akar stretch was one metre under water.
More rain is expected today as the Meteorological Department's Orange Alert issued yesterday said heavy rains are expected in Besut, Setiu, Kuala Terengganu, Marang, Hulu Terengganu, Dungun and Kemaman today.