- Karpal Singh killed in crash
- Tun M: Why keep the Causeway?
- Latest: More than 300 people missing after South Korea ferry sinks
- 54-year-old man first M'sian to die from MERS
- Russia rules artist who nailed scrotum to Red Square 'committed no crime'
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub aborts again
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- MH370 Tragedy: American Navy ship involved in SAR docks at Westport
- MH370 Tragedy: If filed, lawsuits by families might not get heard in US
- Nintendo forecasts net loss, slashes Wii U sales target
- MH370 Tragedy: More countries offering help in SAR, says Hishammuddin
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- Dr M: Muslims must portray Islam as simple religion More
Fly the Jalur Gemilang wholeheartedly, says Najib
SUNGAI PETANI: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said flying the Jalur Gemilang wholeheartedly in a meaningful manner showed a patriotic spirit and marked the nation's sovereignty and independence.
Furthermore, this year's Independence Day theme of "Malaysiaku Berdaulat Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku" (My Sovereign Malaysia: My Native Land) had a very deep meaning, he said at the launch of the 2013 National Level Fly the Jalur Gemilang programme at Dataran Zero here tonight.
"So don't just fly the flag for the sake of it. We must know the meaning in-depth and translate the same to actions and behaviour which prove our loyalty to the nation," he said.
The Prime Minister said the Jalur Gemilang was raised in 1950 and has been flying for 63 years witnessing Malaysia's progress from a poor, unknown, and tiny nation to the threshold of a developed nation.
"If everyone of us as citizens are willing to defend the independence and sovereignty of Malaysia, we will surely achieve the developed status," he said.
Najib called on Malaysians to fly the Jalur Gemilang with pride as it represented their identity and reflected their gratitude for the prevailing peace, prosperity and strength of the country.
Also present at the function were the Prime Minister's wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, Communication and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Tun Dr Mahathir, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Dr Ali Hamsa, cabinet ministers, deputy ministers and state executive councilors.
More than 50,000 people crowded Dataran Zero to witness the national level launch of Fly the Jalur Gemilang campaign which was held for the first time in Kedah. -- BERNAMA