- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- Two killed in six-vehicle pile up near Senawang
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- FLOOD: East coast may be hit by second flood wave
- Football: 2014 World Cup team-by-team guide
- World Cup draw 2014: Spain kick off with Dutch rematch, England handed tough
- Soi Lek's son up for MCA veep post
- 'Make Sunni Islam official religion'
- World Cup draw 2014: Brazil will host "Cup of Cups" - Brazil president
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Xbox One makes hot debut as console war revs up
- Flood relief boat capsized, six passengers escape death
- 2013 SEA GAMES: Malaysia wins first gold from Wushu
- 'Extend AP system to 2020 to help Bumis' More
Fly the Jalur Gemilang wholeheartedly, says Najib
SUNGAI PETANI: Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak said flying the Jalur Gemilang wholeheartedly in a meaningful manner showed a patriotic spirit and marked the nation's sovereignty and independence.
Furthermore, this year's Independence Day theme of "Malaysiaku Berdaulat Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku" (My Sovereign Malaysia: My Native Land) had a very deep meaning, he said at the launch of the 2013 National Level Fly the Jalur Gemilang programme at Dataran Zero here tonight.
"So don't just fly the flag for the sake of it. We must know the meaning in-depth and translate the same to actions and behaviour which prove our loyalty to the nation," he said.
The Prime Minister said the Jalur Gemilang was raised in 1950 and has been flying for 63 years witnessing Malaysia's progress from a poor, unknown, and tiny nation to the threshold of a developed nation.
"If everyone of us as citizens are willing to defend the independence and sovereignty of Malaysia, we will surely achieve the developed status," he said.
Najib called on Malaysians to fly the Jalur Gemilang with pride as it represented their identity and reflected their gratitude for the prevailing peace, prosperity and strength of the country.
Also present at the function were the Prime Minister's wife Datin Seri Rosmah Mansor, Communication and Multimedia Minister Datuk Seri Ahmad Shabery Cheek, Kedah Menteri Besar Datuk Mukhriz Tun Dr Mahathir, Chief Secretary to the Government Tan Sri Dr Ali Hamsa, cabinet ministers, deputy ministers and state executive councilors.
More than 50,000 people crowded Dataran Zero to witness the national level launch of Fly the Jalur Gemilang campaign which was held for the first time in Kedah. -- BERNAMA