LAHAD DATU: Residents praise offensive action

0 comments

LAHAD DATU: The offensive action by security forces against armed intruders Kampung Tanduo near here yesterday has convinced the people that their security is viewed seriously by the government.

 

The operation, launched as early as 7am, proved that the government, through the security forces, is capable of thwarting any attempts to undermine the country's peace and sovereignty.
 
Lahad Datu Assemblyman Datuk Nasrun Datu Mansur said the government had shown its firmness that Malaysia, as a sovereign country, would not compromise in issues involving peace.
 
"Certainly, the action by the security forces is well-received by residents in this district who are concerned with their safety since the intruders entered their village last Feb 12," he said in a statement today.
 
 To ensure such an incident would not happen again, he suggested that the government set up an army base in Lahad Datu to strengthen security in the area.
 
The offensive operation was also well-received by the Chinese community in the district as it gave them the confidence to resume with their business activities.
 
Lahad Datu Chinese Traders Association chairman Mok Tin Sang said after being informed of the operation by the security forces, he no longer felt afraid and believed the action could end the intrusion.
 
"Indeed the intrusion by the armed intruders has affected business activities in Lahad Datu," he added.
 
Kampung Air Security and Development Committee chairman Asanji Bairullah said residents in the village, totalling more than 3,000 and mostly Suluk, supported the 'Op Daulat' and any action taken by the government to end the intrusion.
 
In SANDAKAN, the people of various races regarded the offensive operation as a wise move after the armed group refused to withdraw from Kampung Tanduo, which clearly showed their disrespect for the peace efforts made by the government.
 
Head of Kampung Melayu Bumiputera Sim-Sim, Kahar Arbain, 80, said the refusal by the group was a test of Malaysia's patience.
 
"The Prime Minister (Datuk Seri Najib Tun Razak)'s call for them to leave peacefully to avoid a bloodshed went unheeded, so the decision by Najib for the police and the armed forces to attack was apt and wise," he told Bernama.
 
Kahar, whose father is a Suluk, and had been staying in Sabah since 1914, said despite being a Suluk, he and his family members were loyal to Sabah.
 
He said the action by the armed intruders had created fear among residents and disrupted peace which they had been enjoying under the Barisan Nasional government.
 
In SEMPORNA, residents who were met expressed support for the action by the security forces in launching the operation against the intruders.
 
They wanted the government to continue to hunt down the intruders until all of them were caught.
 
They wanted the government to continue to hunt down the intruders until all of them were caught.
 
"I agree with the action in launching the offensive operation. If possible, track down all of them and charge them because of the problems and inconvenience they have caused the people here," said Lapang Panglima Manalus, 59. 
Lapang said residents had problems getting their daily supplies as shops were closed.
 
Mohd Mokhtar Sahi, 56, said the refusal by the terrorist group to accept the offer by the government for them to return to their country could possibly be because they were afraid of the action by the Philippines government.
 
"So, the government should hunt them down because they might be masquerading as local folks and will emerge again after the security forces leave the location," he added.
 
In LABUAN, Majirin Ismaili, 49, a Suluk, said the Suluk community in Sabah was against the intrusion.
 
"We have been working in Sabah, especially Labuan, for a long time and have enjoyed the various benefits. Even our children also get to study like the local said the father of five children.
 
Rashid Alman, 52, said he had been in Labuan since 2001 after migrating with his family from Basilan in the Philippines.
 
"We decided to come to Sabah because of the economic and peaceful situation in Malaysia.
 
"Having stayed her for almost 12 years, we are against the intrusion," said Rashid, a supervisor at a oil and gas company.- BERNAMA

Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.