- One million residents in Selangor, KL to face water disruption from Tuesday
- Four injured in RapidKL bus crash in Jalan Pudu
- United States thanks Malaysia for saving their soldiers in Somalia
- Lynas engineer drowns in pond at plant
- 50 including 47 foreigners nabbed in Internet love scam in Kepong
- My kampung Taman Tun Dr Ismail
- Bad weather forces emergency landing for helicopter in Bintulu
- Downpour causes flash floods, traffic congestions in Klang Valley
- Teen escapes rape attempt in mall
- Annuar Musa quits all football posts with immediate effect
- Shaken not stirred: Did 007 have alcoholic tremor?
- Water cuts in Selangor, KL next week
- Bound and gagged woman, 76, found dead at home
- Milan orders removal of naughty Christmas tree
- Abducted baby rescued within 24 hours More
MARANG: A Form Two student from Sekolah Menengah Agama Marang, Md Harith Iskandar Md Fuad Mahakim, is feared drowned while collecting mussels in Kerak river here today.
His friend, Muhammad Amar Afiruddin Abd Aziz, 15, said after spending 10 minutes collecting the mussels, Md Harith suddenly dived into the river.
"He had planned to take a bath in the river. He even brought extra clothes.
"We thought he can swim, but we were shocked to see him struggling and gasping for breath. He had never swimmed in that river before," he told reporters at the scene.
Terengganu Fire and Rescue Department assistant enforcement officer Mohd Rozairi Abdul Rahim said they received the distress call about the incident at 2.55pm and efforts were being mounted to find the student.
The search and rescue operation, however, has been called off at 7pm due to bad weather and will be resumed tomorrow, he added. -- BERNAMA