- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela More
Johor Baharu: The Sessions Court today sentenced a former imam of a mosque to 15 years jail and ordered him to be given 12 strokes of the cane after finding him guilty of raping a 13-year-old girl last year.
Judge Nua'man Mahmud Zuhudi passed the sentence on Nur Akmal alias Basok Bakri Abdul Kader, 32, after finding him guilty of committing the offence at his house in Jalan Camar 3, Taman Perling, here on Feb 21 last year.
He said Nur Akmal, in his defence, had merely denied committing the offence and had failed to raise a reasonable doubt in the prosecution's case.
"He should have known better, as an imam, and should not have committed such an offence. He should have set a good example and safeguarded the image of the institution he represented," said the judge.
Nur Akmal, who is married and has a four-year-old child, was calm at first but shed tears when he was hugged by family members.
DPP Mohd 'Afif Ali appeared for the prosecution while Sukhaimi Mashud represented Nur Akmal. -- Bernama