- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Respect rule of law, Karpal urged
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- Toddler drowns in pail of water
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- Malaysia Airlines helps mum, child
- Mother and two-month-old baby died in after ramming into an electric pole
- “I thought I knew him...”
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Epileptic woman who stayed alone found dead
- Water woes for KL, Selangor folk
- Investments up 44% More
ARAU: The foster father of Saiful Syazani Saiful Sopfidee, 7, who died of injuries after he was punished by a school warden, said he respected the court's decision.
Yesterday, High Court judicial commissioner Mohd Zaki Abdul Wahab sentenced Hanif Mohd Ali, 28, to 18 years' jail after he pleaded guilty to causing Saiful's death at the hostel of Sekolah Rendah Islam Al Furqan in Jejawi, Perlis, last year.
Mohd Zaberi Shafie, 41, said he accepted and respected the decision.
"However angry and sad we are, we must always be patient as this is all fated. Not a day goes by without us thinking of him. His presence is still felt. We will miss him," he said at his house near here.
Zaberi said Saiful normally returned on Friday nights and would have dinner with the family.
"He was so cheerful, jovial and an obedient boy. He never caused us problems, but we have to accept the fact that he is no longer with us."
He said it was difficult to explain Saiful's death to his 3-year-old daughter.
Zaberi said Saiful was known as ustaz Saiful to him and his wife, Hazirah Chin, 39.
"He is no different from any of our children. We always loved him as much as our four other children."
Saiful's biological father, Saiful Sopfidee Marzuki, 34, could not be reached for comment.