- MAS served beyond its normal duties: CEO
- 66,000 ICs issued to Sabah immigrants
- Mother, daughter stranded at airport
- Guan Eng: State govt has the right to hold rally
- ‘ Accept reality, Anwar’
- Zahid: Probe into Lahad Datu intrusion completed
- Malaysians easy target for London tricksters
- Birthday outing takes tragic turn
- Mama proposes RM6,000 fee
- Teacher acquitted of molest charge
- Retired Anglican priest convicted of sex abuse
- 'Rule of law crucial to nation's integrity'
- 4 killed in 3 cars and motorcycle crash at MRR2
- Taiwan, Japan, Denmark in Sudirman Cup quarterfinals
- Esplanade gathering organiser hauled up More
Govt assures ample supply of essential goods for Ramadan
BERA: The government has assured that there would be ample supply of essential goods such as cooking oil, sugar and other items for the coming fasting month.
Domestic Trade, Cooperative and Consumerism minister Datuk Seri Ismail Sabri Yaakob said the Malaysian Palm Oil Council has also agreed to increase cooking oil supply by 10 per cent to wholesalers and retailers.
"Supply of other items would also be increased for traders during the fasting month," he told reporters after the closing of the Bera 1Malaysia Youth Futsal championship at the Rakan Muda Complex, here today.
Commenting on the rise in garlic prices recently, Ismail Sabri said it was impossible for the government to control all prices as the item was imported and subject to market rates.
"However, the government will not hesitate to take stern action under the Profiteering Act against traders and shopkeepers who hike prices indiscriminately, which is punishable by fine or imprisonment," he added. --BERNAMA