- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- Restaurant owner survives shooting
- 'Fake' interpreter at Mandela event claims illness
- MCA's '3 kingdom' battle
- IKEA recalls lamp following death of child
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- Manhunt launched for bogus interpreter at Mandela’s memorial service
- 2nd Penang bridge to be opened in Feb 2014
- New-look Perdana is govt official car
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Celebrations on hold
- Asiana crash victim was run over twice
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- 'Time to put the past behind us' More
PERAI: Nine members of a family saw the joy of celebrating the first day of Hari Raya go up in smoke, as their home at Kampung Jawa here, was destroyed in a fire.
The incident happened at about 9.15 pm, as the family who were having a conversation on the ground floor of the house, heard a loud sound like a firecracker exploding.
One of the victims, Noor Sapiza Tajuddin, 28, said at first all of them thought it was just the sound of an exploding firecracker, but were shocked to see fire spreading from a room upstairs.
"The situation became chaotic as all of us fled the house to save ourselves," she added.
Apart from Sapiza's house, the home next door was also affected by the blaze, with part of the kitchen and a bedroom burnt.
Meanwhile, 18 firemen from the Perai Fire and Rescue station rushed to the scene, after receiving a call from a member of the public at 9.25 pm.
The fire was brought under control at 9.31 pm and completely put out 31 minutes later. -- BERNAMA