- MH370 Tragedy: US denies MH370 'cover-up'
- MH370 Tragedy: Najib raps Anwar for absurd claims
- MH370 Tragedy: 6-hour data collected by Bluefin-21 being analysed
- 'Anwar out to fool people with absurd statement'
- Commotion breaks out at Perak-JDT match
- MH370 Tragedy: First foray of mini-sub finds nothing of interest
- MH370 Tragedy: Mini-sub on second mission
- Bentong Bus Crash: Driver tested positive for drugs
- Durian odour triggers patient evacuation at Melbourne hospital
- MH370 Tragedy: Bunga Mas Enam sails off to help SAR
- MH370 Tragedy: Anwar hits out at Singapore for supporting Malaysia
- Call traced to co-pilot's phone
- UPDATE : 2 dead as S. Korea ferry with 476 passengers sinks
- MH370 Tragedy: Search enters new phase
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane More
Immigration department to close passport counters tomorrow
BUTTERWORTH: The Immigration Department will close the passport counters at its office in Seberang Jaya and George Town for two days starting tomorrow.
Penang Immigration Department director Abdul Qadir Siddiq Ahmad said only the passport counters will be closed while other services will go on as usual.
"The immigration office in Seberang Jaya and George Town will be closed to allow the installation, testing and training on the use of machines to produce polycarbonate passports.
"This is because we plan to start issuing polycarbonate passports to replace existing ones from Monday," he told a press conference here today.
Polycarbonate passports made of more resistant materials were launched in April in the Klang Valley before being extended to several states including Penang.
Abdul Qadir said consumers applying for new passports should comply with certain specifications including giving photographs with white background and without shadow.
"Dark-coloured clothing covering the shoulders and chest and three quarters profile are not allowed. The applicants must look directly into the camera," he added.
Notice on the new passport and photograph specifications is put up at Seberang Jaya and George Town immigration office for public information. -- BERNAMA