- MH192: Bangalore bound flight made an air turn-back
- MH192 Update: Aircraft lands safely at KLIA
- MH192: Passengers express relief and gratitude to heroic pilot
- MH370 Tragedy: NOK committee to set date for 'no survivors' announcement
- Karpal Singh's Death: The Tiger is finally put to rest
- Karpal Singh's Death: Nawawi apologises to Karpal's family
- MH192: MAS given 2 days to furnish cabinet with report
- UPDATE:12 students lost in Bako National Park found, 1 dead
- S.Korea ferry incident: More bodies from ship; transcript reveals wavering
- MISSING MH370: Debris found at Straits of Malacca
- MH192: Police to look into elements of sabotage
- MH370 Tragedy: Police have recorded statements from 260 people
- Tour bus tragedy updates : UK tourist identified as victim
- Three dead in 4-car accident in Klang
- GOOGLE: Malaysia’s Top 10 Trending Searches on Google More
Immigration dept to tighten checks at entry points
KUALA LUMPUR: The Malaysian Immigration Department has tightened checks at all entry points into the country following the escape of more than 200 prisoners from the Tanjung Gusta Prison in Medan, Indonesia.
Immigration Director-General Datuk Alias Ahmad said the department would work with the authorities in Indonesia and the Royal Malaysia Police (PDRM) to ensure none of them entered the country.
"We have tighten checks at all entry points in the country because of the possibility of the prisoners concerned obtaining false documents to enter Malaysia as tourists.
"We hope the Indonesian authorities can provide details of the prisoners concerned, like their photographs and passport number, so that we can detain them should they attempt to enter the country," he said when contacted by Bernama.
According to media reports, about 240 inmates escaped following a riot at the Tanjung Gusta Prison last Thursday in which three prisoners and two prison employees were killed.
A newspaper quoted a statement by the Malaysian Embassy in Indonesia as saying that four Malaysians were among the 2,600 inmates at the prison. -- BERNAMA