- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- 2013 SEA GAMES: 8th day results involving Malaysia
- Najib leaves for Tokyo
- Mandela family 'humbled' by thousands turning out in cold, rain
- 11 commando trainees, 2 instructors to get Pingat Gagah Berani
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- Tears as Mandela lies in state
- 'Anwar unfit to be leader'
- Why judge those who help sincerely?
- Demolished without any warning
- Mukhriz launches Ansara Club
- RTD confiscates 24 vehicles in joint ops
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- Three nations close to joining Chemical Weapons Convention More
Indonesian maid gets 20 years' jail for abusing baby
KUANTAN: Indonesian maid, Yuliana, 24, was today sentenced to 20 years' jail after she pleaded guilty to two separate charges of attempted murder and physical abuse of her employer's four-month-old baby boy.
Session court judge Mohd Azhar Othman gave her 15 years' imprisonment for the first offence and another five years for the second offence. However, the judge ordered the jail terms to run concurrently.
Yuliana, who was unrepresented, pleaded guilty to attempted murder of four-month-old Mohamed Hareez Mohamed Zamri at his parents' home at No7, Lorong Bukit Setongkol 38 here about 7.45am on Feb 15.
She also pleaded guilty to causing physical injuries to the victim at the same time an place.
Clad in a purple lock-up uniform, Yuliana was seen sobbing when the judge meted out the sentence.
"A deterrent sentence must be handed down to serve as a lesson not just to the accused but to the public," said Azhar.
The CCTV video recording of the incident went viral on the social networks after the victim's father lodged a police report and handed the video clip to a television station here.