- MISSING MH370: Timeline of flight MH370
- MISSING MH370: MAS 'shocked' by report on co-pilot
- MISSING MH370: Loud noise reported, believed linked to missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Search for missing jet covers mountainous, forest areas
- MISSING MH370: Aviation expert suggests 6 reasons for disappearance
- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: Raja Bomoh arrives to help find missing plane
- MISSING MH370: Man claims possible sighting of airliner
- MISSING MH370: Vietnam scales down SAR
- MISSING MH370: Interpol shows image of 2 Iranians on missing jet
- MISSING MH370: Military says missing jet changed course
- MISSING MH370: 600,000 scan satellites images for clues
- MISSING MH370: China says SAR efforts expanded to land areas
- MISSING MH370: Unlikely to be terrorist event: Interpol head More
IOC says Rio has work cut out preparing for 2016
GENEVA: Rio de Janeiro needs to step up the pace if it is to be ready in time for the Olympics in 2016, the head of the International Olympic Committee’s (IOC) co-ordination commission said on Wednesday.
“We’ve seen solid progress,” said Nawal El Moutawakel, after wrapping up a three-day inspection trip.
“Building work is ongoing and the Organising Committee continues to strengthen its capacity. However, many projects will have to be delivered simultaneously.
“We remain confident but we must all stay vigilant and continue to work hard, so that timelines are respected,” she added in a statement released by the Swiss-based Olympic body.
IOC inspectors last visited Rio in June 2012 to take stock of the city’s preparations for the Olympics.
Among the concerns flagged up by this week’s inspection trip were the fact that work still needs to begin at a number of sports venues in order to meet the deadlines for test events ahead of the Olympics, the IOC said.
In addition, it noted that many hotel construction projects were still to be confirmed in the next few months.
Brazil is also in the spotlight over its preparations to host football’s World Cup in 2014. -- AFP