- Police classify death of man in lock-up as murder
- BANTING MURDER: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- RON97 price down by 20 sen
- 18 protestors detain for ignoring police orders to disperse
- S. Korean girl killed by suicide jumper
- 'Opposition reps are anarchists': Tunku Aziz
- IGP: Zero tolerance for street crimes
- KL vehicle number plates to start with W, ends with A
- Moyes is the real deal
- Public advised not to visit places with leptospirosis cases
- US soldier accused of secretly taping naked women
- PKR may postpone party election this November
- Police deny photo of Adam Adli being handcuffed was taken at the Jinjang police station
- Britain calls emergency meeting after man killed in London More
TOKYO: Japan on Friday said it would purchase an F-35 stealth jet as its next-generation fighter jet despite its higher price, Xinhua news agency quoted local media as saying.
Japan plans to acquire a total of 42 jets with the first four delivered by 2016. Each aircraft is set to cost about 10.2 billion yen (about US$128 million), according to reports.
The Japanese government in December decided to obtain the F-35 stealth jet, developed by the United States and eight other countries, as its next-generation fighter jet.
Lockheed Martin's F-35 Lightning II stealth fighter jets will replace the country's 40-year-old fleet of F-4s.
Critics in the country are worried about the potential increase of costs as the jet is still under development.
Former Defense Minister Naoki Tanaka warned that Japan might cancel the purchase in case of a price hike or delivery delay in February. -- BERNAMA