- GST implementation to add up to RM27b to Malaysia's income
- ‘Opposition chaos agenda’ claim
- Youth slashed to death at karaoke centre
- Saiful, Nik Suryani to tie the knot
- Mourinho will win Chelsea the title
- Cops refute Guan Eng's inaction claim
- TNB: Beware of imposters
- Khairy set on 'breaking down walls'
- MCA: Unwise not to join cabinet
- Flesh-eating disease victim gets prosthetic hands
- Arsenal eye unsettled Rooney
- Mother of Delhi gang-rape victim pleads for justice: report
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Candice Glover wins 'American Idol'
- WEEKEND WATCH: Heartwarming teacher tales More
Johor PAS slams state DAP chairman over statement
JOHOR BARU: The Johor PAS today lambasted at State DAP chairman Dr Boo Cheng Hau for issuing a statement on the possibility of a non-Muslim and a non-Malay holding the Menteri Besar post.
State PAS commissioner Datuk Dr Mahfodz Mohamed said that as a partner in Pakatan Rakyat, the DAP leader should not have uttered the words.
"It is clearly stated in the Johor State Constitution that the Menteri Besar post is only for a Malay and Muslim," he told Bernama when contacted here.
He believed that Dr Boo's action was aimed at getting the votes of the Chinese for the coming general election, but said he would meet Dr Boo for an
Dr Mahfodz was commenting on a statement issued by Dr Boo to the Sin Chew Daily last April 17 that a non-Muslim and a non-Malay could be appointed Johor Menteri Besar if consented by the Sultan.
Yesterday, MCA President Datuk Dr Chua Soi Lek challenged the Johor DAP leadership to explain the matter, saying that DAP was confusing the people,
especially the Chinese community.
Dr Mahfodz said the statement by Dr Boo, who is Skudai assemblyman, had hurt the feelings of the Malays in Johor.
Meanwhile, Dr Boo, when contacted by Bernama today, said the Sultan had the prerogative to decide on the person for the post of Menteri Besar.
"As what happened in Perak in 2008. Although DAP had more seats, but PAS elected representative, Datuk Dr Nizar Jamaluddin, was made the Menteri Besar," he added. -- BERNAMA