- New PTPTN rules soon
- Lamborghini owners lodged report on evening of crash
- Moyes driving us mad!
- Half-naked body of girl found by roadside
- Josiah Ng out of intensive care, stable
- Islam to be religion of federation, says Najib
- Murder of 3 sisters: Mother pleas for stop on rumours
- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- 2013 SEA GAMES: Malaysia wins first gold from Wushu
- Stiff Everton test for Gunners
- PM, sultan to open bridge today
- FLOOD: Victims in Dungun use tents at relief centres
- Football: Manchester United suffer another home defeat
- FLOOD: Worsening situation in Pahang, Terengganu More
KUCHING: The Sarawak government has declared June 4 this year as a public holiday in the state, Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud said today.
He said it was in substitution for the second day of Gawai Dayak, which falls on the same day as the birthday of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong.
The notification was made in accordance with Section Five of the Public Holidays Ordinance, he said in a statement here.
Gawai Dayak, being celebrated by the Dayak community in thanksgiving for a bountiful paddy harvest, is observed on June 1-2 annually, which are also declared as public holidays in Sarawak. -- BERNAMA