- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Man sorry for assault on wife
- Man catches unique fish with horns
- 'He's alive!' Video emerges of ship's cook thought lost at sea
- Soi Lek confirms he will step down as president
- Spain surgeons cut giant 25kg tumour from woman's womb
- Universal shuts down 'Fast & Furious 7' production
- FLOOD : Kemaman residents say this is the worst
- FLOOD : Pahang in a quandary
- MAS chiefs 'not doing more'
- Ustaz Kazim gives final verdict on Umno invite
- FLOOD : Man and son drown in Kuantan
- Suspect's parents say he is innocent
- Woman killed in crash
- Celebrity chef Nigella Lawson admits cocaine use More
SIBU: Victims of a pre-dawn fire in Kampung Nangka here on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri today received RM100,000 aid from the state government.
Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud who is in town for his Hari Raya visits took time off to visit the victims together with state Housing Minister
Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg and Minister of Local Government and Community Development Datuk Sri Wong Soon Koh.
Nangka state assemblyman Dr Annuar Rapaee said some 120 people from 19 families were affected by the fire.
He said nine houses were completely destroyed while three others were partially destroyed.
Meanwhile, Taib when speaking briefly to the victims told them to reconsider possible relocation to the Sungai Teku Resettlement area in Sungai Teku.
He said talks would be held with the divisional Land and Survey Department for the site adding that the aid was for them to repair their houses.
A community leader, Temenggong Vincent Lau, had also chipped in RM10,000 to the victims plus another RM6,000 was contributed by the Sibu Lion Club and
RM5,000 from the Sarawak Islamic Trust Welfare Board (Tabung Baitumal Sibu).
Dr Annuar said those who wished to help the victims could call his aide Abang Hashim Datuk Abang Zainuddin at 019 8899005. -- BERNAMA