- PKR to file Balik Pulau petition
- Mom stabs 2-year old girl in head with scissors during tiff with hubby
- M'sian couple on Aussie rich list
- Police capable of handling gathering in PJ - Ahmad Zahid
- Stone Temple Pilots sue ex-frontman Scott Weiland
- 'Only two solutions to avert disaster'
- Soccer: I got carried away with QPR, says ’naive’ Fernandes
- University lecturers to boost English in schools
- Thousands throng temples nationwide
- Paul Low resigns as Transparency International Malaysia president
- Malaysian couple joins Aussie's billionaire club
- Opposition agreed to hold peaceful gatherings but did opposite - Zahid
- Police will appeal rejection of remand on trio, says Ahmad Zahid
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square
- 2 coaches leave Manchester United More
SIBU: Victims of a pre-dawn fire in Kampung Nangka here on the second day of Hari Raya Aidilfitri today received RM100,000 aid from the state government.
Chief Minister Tan Sri Abdul Taib Mahmud who is in town for his Hari Raya visits took time off to visit the victims together with state Housing Minister
Datuk Amar Abang Johari Tun Openg and Minister of Local Government and Community Development Datuk Sri Wong Soon Koh.
Nangka state assemblyman Dr Annuar Rapaee said some 120 people from 19 families were affected by the fire.
He said nine houses were completely destroyed while three others were partially destroyed.
Meanwhile, Taib when speaking briefly to the victims told them to reconsider possible relocation to the Sungai Teku Resettlement area in Sungai Teku.
He said talks would be held with the divisional Land and Survey Department for the site adding that the aid was for them to repair their houses.
A community leader, Temenggong Vincent Lau, had also chipped in RM10,000 to the victims plus another RM6,000 was contributed by the Sibu Lion Club and
RM5,000 from the Sarawak Islamic Trust Welfare Board (Tabung Baitumal Sibu).
Dr Annuar said those who wished to help the victims could call his aide Abang Hashim Datuk Abang Zainuddin at 019 8899005. -- BERNAMA