- 3 Lamborghinis up in flames
- Two killed in six-vehicle pile up near Senawang
- Three Lamborghinis go up in flames in pile-up
- East coast may be hit by second flood wave
- Football: 2014 World Cup team-by-team guide
- World Cup draw 2014: Spain kick off with Dutch rematch, England handed tough
- Soi Lek's son up for MCA veep post
- 'Make Sunni Islam official religion'
- World Cup draw 2014: Brazil will host "Cup of Cups" - Brazil president
- FLOOD : Kuantan town centre almost paralysed, 37,100 evacuated in 4 states
- Nadal downs old rival Federer to reach final
- Xbox One makes hot debut as console war revs up
- Flood relief boat capsized, six passengers escape death
- 'Extend AP system to 2020 to help Bumis'
- World Cup draw 2014: Boateng brothers to square off again in Brazil More
Kedah Sekolah Pondok operators gives full support to Najib
ALOR STAR: The operators of eight sekolah pondok (Islamic religious schools) in Kedah have expressed confidence in Prime Minister Datuk Seri Najib Razak's handling of efforts to safeguard Islam against efforts by certain quarters to discredit the religion and to cause disunity among Muslims.
The operators, in a resolution submitted to Datuk Seri Najib Razak here today, said they would also stand firm behind the prime minister in upholding the sanctity of Islam against its "enemies".
"We have great confidence in the Government of the day that is led by Datuk Seri Najib Razak in efforts to safeguard Islam.
"We also urge the Government to take firm and stern actions against anyone or groups who insult Islam or attempt to deviate from the true Islamic teachings.
"We are also against anyone or groups who question the rights and position of the Yang di-Pertuan Agong and Malay rulers as provided in the Constitution," added the operators in the three-page resolution which was handed to Najib, who was here on a day-long visit to Kedah.
The resolution was handed over to Najib by Sobri Othman, the pro-tem committee chairman of the Kedah branch of the Yayasan Pondok 1Malaysia. There are a total of 20 sekolah pondok in the state.
Accompanying Sobri, who is also the operator of Pondok Tanjung Kapur, were the operators and principals of the seven other sekolah pondok. There were Ashiq Elahi Mat Desa (Pondok Kampung Kobah Pendang); Abdur Rahman Muhd Tajuddin (Maahad Tahfiz Kampung Selarong Kulim); Abdul Rahim Omar (Tahfiz Kampung Baru Batu Puteh Kulim); Azrin Othman (Tahfiz Kampung Sentosa Padang Serai); and Shahrilbani Mansor (Pondok Bimbingan Al-Quran Bedong; and Sutan Shahril Mat Desa and Abu Bakar Abdullah (Pondok Sungai Jagung Pendang).
Meanwhile, Asiq Elahi later told reporters that the committee, during their brief meeting with Najib, had also urged the prime minister to help raise the teaching standards of sekolah pondok to be at par with Government-aided Islamic religious schools.
"We are happy that the prime minister was very receptive with our proposals.
"We are also very happy to give our greatest support and commitment to the prime minister to uphold and safeguard Islam against attempts to discredit the religion or cause disunity among Muslims," he said.