- 20 years on, no one forgets Highland Towers
- Haniff Omar's son dies after falling into drain
- Saudi beheads man for incest
- PM launches new-look Proton Perdana as govt's official car
- 'Sound of Music' actress dies at 91
- Bangladesh Islamist to be hanged after midnight
- Take photo at counter
- A town that's on its way to become a city
- China sex workers face 'harsh' detention: rights group
- Singapore Riot : Malaysia always in state of prepareness
- Undentified lorry driver flees after hit-and-run crash
- Ministry forms panel for PISA
- RTD officer, suspect in heavy machinery theft, detained
- Thousands questioned in widening crackdown after Singapore riot
- Netanyahu missing Mandela memorial for cost reasons: media More
Labourer to serve 20 years' jail for son's death
IPOH: A labourer was sentenced to 20 years' jail by the High Court here today after he pleaded guilty to an alternative charge of causing the death of his three-year-old son four years ago.
Justice Datuk Zainal Adzam Abd Ghani ordered Kamalruddin Mohamed Ghani, 31, to serve the sentence from the date of his arrest on Nov 6, 2008.
Kamalruddin was charged with causing the death of Rizaudin Kamalruddin at a house in Kampung Baru Sambungan, Kamunting, in the district of Larut Matang near here between 5pm on Nov 1, 2008 and 2pm the following day.
He was charged with causing the child's death by negligence, an offence which carries a maximum imprisonment for 30 years.
Kamalruddin was initially charged with murder, which carries the mandatory death sentence upon conviction.
Prosecution was conducted by deputy public prosecutor Nurlaili Mohamed Nazil, while lawyer S. Surendran represented Kamalruddin.