Loss of dynamites triggers terror scare in Indonesia

0 comments

JAKARTA -- The loss of a large cache of dynamite while being transported to a mining site in Bogor, West Java recently has sparked a terror scare across Indonesia which had been hit by deadly terror attacks in the past.

The Indonesian police have already created a special anti-terror unit called Detachment 88 to trace down those implicated in the case, Xinhua news agency reported.   

The special unit is now conducting an intensive investigation on the case, assisted by police from national police headquarters, West Java, and Jakarta regional headquarters.    

Some 12 witnesses have already been interrogated on the missing cache of explosive materials. 

 Indonesian police spokesman Boy Rafly Amar said that they are not underestimating the possible implication of the incident.

"There should be no chance for those dynamites to fall into the hands of irresponsible persons," Boy said in police headquarters here on Friday.  

But based on the preliminary findings, there has been no indication yet of terrorist involvement in the case, the police said.    

Some 250 sticks of dynamite were found missing while being transported to the mining site of PT Batusarana Persada.

The loss of the dynamites was discovered Thursday morning when workers of the mining firm unloaded the explosive cargoes from a truck in the site located in Rengas Jajar village, Cigudeg, Bogor regency, West Java.   

The workers found that canvas sheet covering the explosive boxes has been ripped off and later found out that two boxes weighing 50 kilograms that contained 250 sticks of dynamite were missing.    

The missing dynamites were part of explosives transported Wednesday by four trucks to the mining site from the warehouse of a supplier firm PT Multi Nitrotama Kimia in Subang, West Java.    

Indonesia saw deadly attacks with high explosives carried out by terrorist groups in Bali in 2002 that took hundreds of lives, in J.W. Marriott Hotel and in Australian embassy in Jakarta in 2003 and 2004 respectively that resulted in the death of dozens, including foreign nationals. -- BERNAMA


Leave Your Comment


Leave Your Comment:

New Straits Times reserves the right not to publish offensive or abusive comments and those of hate speech, harassment, commercial promos and invasion of privacy. Your IP will be logged and may be used to prevent further submission.The views expressed here are that of the members of the public and unless specifically stated are not those of NST.