- MISSING MH370: Pilot: I established contact with plane
- MISSING MH370: Fake passport bearers bought tickets together
- MISSING MH370: Debris near Tho Chu island not from MH370
- MISSING MH370: Search in coastal areas
- MISSING MH370: Pix Gallery Day 2
- UPDATE: Missing aircraft's pilot makes contact, rescue mission resumes
- MISSING MH370: Thai police target 'passport ring' in vanished flight probe
- MISSING MH370: Radar showed missing plane may have turned back
- MISSING MH370: MAS to fly Chinese families to KL
- MISSING MH370: Love and support for Capt Zaharie fills social media
- MISSING MH370 : Businessman who cancels flight shocked over missing MAS plane
- MISSING MH370: Disappearance among rarest of aviation disasters
- MISSING MH370: PM: Govt will review all protocols, upgrade KLIA's security
- MISSING MH370: Malaysia welcomes SAR assistance from other countries
- MISSING MH370: US dispatch two ships, aircraft to assist SAR operation More
'Malaysiaku Berdaulat, Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku' picked as this year's Merdeka Day theme
PUTRAJAYA: The Merdeka Day theme for the 56th celebration this year will be 'Malaysiaku Berdaulat: Tanah Tumpahnya Darahku' (My Sovereign Malaysia: My Native Land).
The Communication and Multimedia ministry said the theme which was based on unity, patriotism, and oneness, was selected by the cabinet recently for the celebration to be held in Kuala Lumpur on Aug 31.
The ministry in a statement, said the theme was would serve as a reminder to the rakyat on the importance of being united in defending the country while creating awareness on the need to cherish the nation.
"In line with the theme's approach, the celebration's concept this year will focus on elements of unity, patriotism, sovereignty and national security," the ministry said.
The ministry said the incursion in Lahad Datu and Semporna, Sabah earlier this year had served as a valuable lesson to improve the core in the military field.
Some 480 entries were also sent in to the ministry recently for its logo-design contest.
The ministry will present RM5,000 cash prize with a certificate to the winning entry, as well as RM1,000 for 10 consolation prizes.
Among the Merdeka events to be organised throughout the month are the Jalur Gemilang national flag launching on Aug 16 in Dataran Zero, Sungai Petani, Kedah, and the Merdeka-eve countdown on Aug 30 at the Putrajaya Maritime Centre.
The Merdeka parade on Aug 31 will be participated by the armed forces and enforcement agencies including the Royal Malaysian Police and Malaysian Maritime Enforcement Agency, among others.
The Royal Malaysia Airforce and the police are also expected to hold aerobatic displays during the parade.
"This year's merdeka celebration is because it also coincided with Malaysia Day's 50th Golden Jubilee," the ministry said.
In line with this, both Sabah and Sarawak will also be holding a number of celebrations such as the boat floats along the Sarawak river on Sept 15 and athe celebratiaon on Sept 16 at Padang Merdeka, Kuching where a special coin is expected to be launched.
The 50th Golden Jubilee celebration will also be held at Tanjung Aru, Kota Kinabalu, where it will be enlivened by the participation of all the ethnic groups in Sabah comprising 35 races and ethnic groups.
The public can visit www.malaysiamerdeka.gov.my website for updates on both celebrations.