- Muhyiddin: Arrest of 3 meant to safeguard peace
- BANTING MURDERS: N. Pathmanabhan, three farm hands gets death
- BANTING MURDERS: Judge praises police investigators
- Trio detained for making seditious remarks
- BANTING MURDERS: Full Judgement
- New passport improvement
- British soldier hacked to death by Muslim terrorist
- BANTING MURDERS: Guilty verdict brings closure for victims' families
- BANTING MURDERS: Chronology of events
- Highway bridge collapses in US; people in water
- Five dead as police helicopter crashes in Venezuela
- End near if self denial continues
- Siti Hanisah conquers world's highest peak
- Police confirm sex videos seizure of Pas leader
- Giant Lego Star Wars X-Wing lands on NY's Times Square More
Marine police seize RM269,000 worth of smuggled cigarettes
TAWAU: The Marine Police here foiled an attempt to smuggle 15,030 cartons of cigarettes valued at RM269,548 into Tawau yesterday.
Tawau Marine Police commanding officer ASP Mohamad Ismail said the cigarettes were seized along the coast of Batu Payung, Tinagat, at about 7.30 pm following a check by four patrolling personnel.
"Acting on a public tip-off, four of our personnel patrolled the coast of Batu Payung at 7.30 pm and saw several men acting suspiciously. When the patrol boat approached and our personnel introduced themselves as the police, the men fled into some bushes," he said in a statement here today.
After inspecting the area, the patrolmen found several black garbage bags containing cigarettes of the Mighty (green), Mighty (red) and Texas (red) brands believed to have been smuggled from a neighbouring country for sale in Tawau.
However, Mohamad said, they did not make any arrest. Bernama